Sunday, August 18, 2013

Small acts of kindness

I like to acknowledge small acts of kindness; especially those that truly go a long way with the recipient.

Today's acknowledgment, and thank you goes out to the obgyn I saw for 6 years, and had to transfer out of when I hit 1 weeks.  She saw me through multiple miscarriages, comforted DH & I when we lost in January, and was genuinely so happy for us when we got pregnant this time.  She told me when she saw ultrasound pics on her desk - she cheered for us.  She also called me when she heard the 18 week prognosis from my current ob, just to see how I was doing.

On Friday I was waiting for my re-check I heard my phone vibrating.  I couldn't answer it, but when I finally got to it, noticed the number resembled that of my normal obgyn.  At my 12 week ultrasound my core ob finally congratulated me on my pregnancy (she knew up to that point I was too scared to hear that word), hugged me, and told me she would miss me.  She said that at my 11 week scan (post a bleeding episode) the u/s tech handed her the u/s images she started cheering, because she was so happy that the blood was benign. 

Well,  it was my original ob that was calling Friday morning.  her voicemail made me cry.  She called just to tell me she was thinking of DH & I, hoping that we are well, and that if we ever need someone to talk to about this pregnancy, or as we approach the next, that her door is always open to us.   The fact that I randomly crossed her mind, and that she actually picked up the phone just to ask, "How ARE you?", actually caring about the response, means so much to me.  In my occupation I work with physicians on a daily basis, and so few of them actually move me and remind me that there are doctors who go above and beyond their typical call of duty.  (oncologists & REs generally being the exception to this statement.) 

Right now, I am floored by the kindness of this doctor and the fact that she went out of her way to call me.  Just to say she was thinking of me, just to make sure I'm okay..   I'll call her back this week and thank her, and I hope she will be able to understand me through my tears - tears that are a mix of gratitude and genuine sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment